Anybody tried gaming via Google Hangouts?

Greetings all and a very Happy Christmas!

I’ve recently read a lot about RPG gaming via Google Hangouts. Google have upgraded the system quite a bit over the past year and some people go as far as to say that gaming via Hangouts is the next best thing to playing face to face. It appeals to me too. Being able to just relax in front of the computer to play is a lot of times preferable to dragging myself to the Spielbar of a Thursday night! (which I definitely will start doing in the near future by the way!)

Just wanted to see what people’s thoughts are with regards to a one-shot of Call of Cthulhu (for example!) via Google Hangouts. It seems fairly straightforward to set up. The added bonus is we could open it up to more people across europe (even the US, although the time-zones could be an issue)

Any thoughts?..

I’d be interested in trying at least (assuming I can get a computer :slight_smile: ), however, having RPd online quite a lot, I gotta say, playing face to face really feels a lot better for me. It just feels more alive, if you know what I mean. :smiley:

I sure as hell want to try

I’d be up for it.
I did try a few chat/video clients and I gotta say narrative games do work in most cases. But if you’re using a map or a battlegrid it can get quite confusing, even if you have a separate webcam for that.

I would be curious to try…

Yuck.

(Hey, you did ask for thoughts …)

Seriously, though, these games of ours are an inherently social thing. If you can’t clink glasses after slaying the dragon, it’s just not the same.

I can understand doing this if you have no other way to play, but why would you settle for “next best” when you could so easily have “best”?

H, I agree with you there. You can’t beat the face-to-face thing. BUT, we’ve got to embrace the technology too. It’s just an extra ‘avenue’. If for some reason one or two of your regular members can’t make next weeks session, maybe they can be persuaded to join a ‘hangouts’ game from the comfort of their own home. That way you at least play something, rather than cancelling the session altogether. Platforms like Roll20.net have popped up to facilitate this and they support battle-maps and real-time ‘counters’ if that’s what you need.

I, personally, would try to keep with a more narrative-style game than anything though. (Although I’ll continue to play Pathfinder with my ‘meatspace’ group as they’re some of the coolest people I know!)

Meh, I like face to face of course but hangout might have its own advantage.
I mean, of course it is a way to game when nobody is around, or when you want to game with people far away (I used to game with a group back when I lived in the US and the opportunity to get the bones rolling with them would be welcome).

And; who knows; every format has its own, sometime unexpected, advantages… Might be hangout would allow to do some things differently and explore things face to face can’t… A game about people stuck and various space station (hello Dr. Bloodmoney) that can not meet face to face for example…

I also like the real thing more, but the biggest advantage i see in hangouts or any of those online gaming platforms is to play with new people, in new worlds, with settings or rules or anything that you did not know before.

Also some rules can be easier to not metagame then other.
I just have to think of light and its different sources in a very dark dungeon

Thanks for the replies so far guys, always good to see a discussion!
So, I created an account at Roll20.net and decided to play around a bit. All I can say is, WOW. Roll20 is VERY slick. All web based and no plugins. Incredible.

Have a look at this youtube video…
[youtube]5-aJLyYUXa0[/youtube]

We do? :mrgreen:

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for technology. But technology shouldn’t be a selbstzweck. This doesn’t solve any problems for me. I already play with new people, in new worlds, with settings or rules that I did not know before. If I’m stuck in the Himalayas for a year or two, then I’ll be all over this. But for now, since I have all the opportunities to play in person that I could ask for, I don’t really see the point.

Then again, I tend to be the we-used-to-have-real-winters guy around here, so what do i know.

Anyway, to each his or her own. (But if you do try this, I recommend playing Dread.)

H, as we’re having this conversation via a website forum I’m assuming that you’re at least embracing some of the technology… :wink: technology isn’t the be-all-and-end-all, it’s just a means to an end. As for Dread, isn’t Jenga an integral part of that system?

I started this forum as a way to connect people with a common goal. That goal being ‘to play RPGs’ and as far as I’m concerned, whether they do that sitting in the same room as each other or sitting on opposite sides of the Earth, then that goal has been fulfilled.

I looked at the link you showed… It’s really cool.
Sure, face to face is great and human contact awesome and all, but when no players are around, that seems like a great alternative…

As a hobbyist map-maker, I really enjoyed their use of map making. It does allow things that are not really possible face to face, save for the acquisition of a surface table, which still is prohibitively expensive…

Simon, I thought specifically of you when I thought about the map-viewer.

Also, if you become a subscriber (50$ a year) you can run Roll20 via your Tablet (iOS and Android - Again via the browser, no apps or plugins) AND you get access to cool stuff like this…

[youtube]WJe4q_MQU-Y[/youtube]

…Bazhell mentioned something about certain rules that are easier to metagame than others!

Yeah, it is kinda cool, but not something I’ll see myself use to often…

Although, I guess, with the tools at disposition, it could make for an interesting encounter… An ambush with archers from the underdark with dark-vision…

Exactly, it opens up a lot of possibilities. PC’s stuck in pitch-black forest during a lightning-storm…they have to wait for lightning to strike before they’re able to see which way to go etc. etc.

Maybe I’m gushing a bit, but from a technical perspective, I think it’s pretty amazing.

[quote=“Neil”]H, as we’re having this conversation via a website forum I’m assuming that you’re at least embracing some of the technology… :wink: technology isn’t the be-all-and-end-all, it’s just a means to an end. As for Dread, isn’t Jenga an integral part of that system?

I started this forum as a way to connect people with a common goal. That goal being ‘to play RPGs’ and as far as I’m concerned, whether they do that sitting in the same room as each other or sitting on opposite sides of the Earth, then that goal has been fulfilled.[/quote]
Heh. Don’t worry, the irony of posting these thoughts on an online forum was not entirely lost on me.

And sure, technology is awesome. But in this case, I see the means (which I agree are pretty impressive), but not really the end. But hey, different strokes and all that.

(On a broader note: Has technology really been good for RPGs? I’m not entirely sure.)

As to the forum, I think this is a perfect fit between means and end. Full points!

And yeah, Jenga is an integral part of Dread. But you can simulate that, too… :stuck_out_tongue:

H, interesting question. Give us some examples of negative effects technology has had on RPGs and we can take it from there. (serious statement. I don’t wish to come across as facetious, I’m genuinely interested in the discussion.)

cough can of worms cough

What, you think I’ve actually thought this through? :slight_smile:

Anyway, I’m not sure how much of a can of worms this really is, but here are a couple that come to mind:

Death of solo RPGs and gamebooks, a key gateway to roleplaying games that still hasn’t been adequately replaced.

Fragmentation of the hobby, loss of the collective experience. Kind of a shame.

Demise of gaming magazines, a fairly high price to pay for the blogs and whatnot that have taken over that niche.

And just to keep from disappointing anyone hoping for some serious worm-can opening, I’d also say that the influx of computer game design concepts into RPGs is almost universally a bad thing.

On the other hand, forums like this one are simply perfect for slow, meandering conversations!