Anybody tried gaming via Google Hangouts?

I’ve actually played quite a few video games that I’d call ‘paragons’ of solo RPGing.

I’ve also attended a few LAN parties and played some MMORPGs that had fun and memorable collective experiences.

This is more of a general ‘internet vs print’ topic, I’d say.

It’s almost always a can of worms, cause you can find a lot of discussions about this (and similar topics) on the web and they almost never come to an end. Cause each side prefers its own kind of game.
Regarding the last statement: There are a lot of game design concepts. Some are better than others and I think you might actually just see more bad ones because - due to the ‘introduction of technology’ - the total number of games has increased massively.

Exactly, solo gaming has moved on to video games. But video games apparently don’t lead to roleplaying in the same way that gamebooks did. The gateway function has become diminished.

That might actually wind up being the biggest advantage of hangouts and the like: not as an aid to existing roleplayers, but as a way of drawing in video gamers.

Sure. There are still plenty of places where the collective experience is alive and well. Just not so much in roleplaying any more.

[quote=“Thopthes”]This is more of a general ‘internet vs print’ topic, I’d say.
[/quote]
Not entirely. Those magazines didn’t just move online, they basically disappeared. Some of the things they provided can be found in a much better form now. Others can’t.

[quote=“Thopthes”]It’s almost always a can of worms, cause you can find a lot of discussions about this (and similar topics) on the web and they almost never come to an end. Cause each side prefers its own kind of game.
Regarding the last statement: There are a lot of game design concepts. Some are better than others and I think you might actually just see more bad ones because - due to the ‘introduction of technology’ - the total number of games has increased massively.[/quote]
You’re right, a lot of this is just a matter of taste. But in some cases, it isn’t a question of some things being better than others, but of being more or less applicable in the first place.

The whole advantage of RPGs is that there are infinite possibilities. You can do anything, anything at all. That’s a huge part of what makes them so attractive. Isn’t deliberately seeking to imitate something that by definition has highly limited options somewhat strange?

I disagree with pretty much all of this…

What, you think I’ve actually thought this through? :slight_smile:

Anyway, I’m not sure how much of a can of worms this really is, but here are a couple that come to mind:

Death of solo RPGs and gamebooks, a key gateway to roleplaying games that still hasn’t been adequately replaced.[/quote]

Well, if you blame technology, it suggests that they must have been replaced, presumably by video games.
I fail to see why video games RPG could not act as gateway toward tabletop. Indeed, the fact that they touch a wider public and the fact that some of them have spawned tabletop games (WOW and Dragonage), actually suggest that video games are doing substantially better than the books…

[quote]
Fragmentation of the hobby, loss of the collective experience. Kind of a shame.[/quote]

I am not sure what you mean by that. How did technology lead to a fragmentation of the hobby?
To me, it actually had the opposite effect. Forums like this one help group finding each others more effectively. Internet allows the playing by email or through forums, allowing people to game that could not before…

[quote]
Demise of gaming magazines, a fairly high price to pay for the blogs and whatnot that have taken over that niche.[/quote]

I disagree. Yeah, internet has certainly contributed to the current bad shape of the press, but it also reducing the cost of producing such magazines, which is vital for such a niche market as RPG always was. Both dungeon and Dragon magazine are now only available online; and would most likely not be profitable otherwise.
On the other hand, as you mentioned, blogs and podcast are now available that would not exist without technology. This allows many voices to be heard that were not before, amateur and hobbyist that could not devote the time and funding to the print media, or on such a small scale as to be existent for most of the world…
Sites like the cartographers’ guild could only spring out of the internet medium, for example… Neither would dragonsfoot.
Several hobbyist games have been put online (several of them were developed there by creators that have never even met each others)
Sites like D20pfsrd.com are pretty damn convenient and provide access to the rules for people that could not have access to the books otherwise///

That too I absolutely disagree with. New concepts should always be welcome, maybe they are good and therefore their influx is nice. Maybe they actually do not work in the tabletop medium (some people would argue that it was why 4th edition performed so poorly, of course they are wrong) and so will be abandoned. But expanding our horizons of what works and do not work will always be a worthwhile endeavor…
I think that, in this case, your curmudgeoness is poorly placed…

Yes and no. I think it’s funny that you’ve phrased it in that very way because the very first game we’ve played was one that imitates a video game :wink:

But let’s talk about it when we meet for a game. There’s too much to say and it’d just overload this thread.

All the better for a discussion like this! Maybe we’ll both learn something.

[quote=“Simon”]Well, if you blame technology, it suggests that they must have been replaced, presumably by video games.
I fail to see why video games RPG could not act as gateway toward tabletop. Indeed, the fact that they touch a wider public and the fact that some of them have spawned tabletop games (WOW and Dragonage), actually suggest that video games are doing substantially better than the books…[/quote]
I’m also not sure why video games don’t serve as a gateway the way gamebooks did, but apparently that’s the case. I’d assume that two of the main reasons are that (1) there are enough good video games to last you a lifetime, while that wasn’t the case with gamebooks (which of course has nothing to do with technology), and (2) the step from rolling dice, adding some numbers, and jotting things down with a pencil by yourself to doing so with a group is a considerably smaller step than going from sitting in front of a keyboard to group roleplaying (which is why I think Hangout-style gaming could have a positive impact here). There may be more. I don’t know.

As to the examples, Warcraft didn’t exactly set the roleplaying world on fire, did it? And Dragon Age seems (anecdotally) to appeal far more to those searching for a red box-esque experience than to video gamers.

In any case, for whatever reason, the gateway effect currently doesn’t seem to be there.

[quote=“Simon”]I am not sure what you mean by that. How did technology lead to a fragmentation of the hobby?
To me, it actually had the opposite effect. Forums like this one help group finding each others more effectively. Internet allows the playing by email or through forums, allowing people to game that could not before…[/quote]
More games, more fragmentation. We have far less common ground with other gamers than people did twenty years ago. There is no canon any more.

Don’t get me wrong, more games can only be a great thing. All I’m saying is that even great things come with a price, and this is one we tend to underestimate.

[quote=“Simon”]I disagree. Yeah, internet has certainly contributed to the current bad shape of the press, but it also reducing the cost of producing such magazines, which is vital for such a niche market as RPG always was. Both dungeon and Dragon magazine are now only available online; and would most likely not be profitable otherwise.
On the other hand, as you mentioned, blogs and podcast are now available that would not exist without technology. This allows many voices to be heard that were not before, amateur and hobbyist that could not devote the time and funding to the print media, or on such a small scale as to be existent for most of the world…
Sites like the cartographers’ guild could only spring out of the internet medium, for example… Neither would dragonsfoot.
Several hobbyist games have been put online (several of them were developed there by creators that have never even met each others)
Sites like D20pfsrd.com are pretty damn convenient and provide access to the rules for people that could not have access to the books otherwise///[/quote]
Dungeon and Dragon magazines? You mean the ones that closed their doors (and had been irrelevant for some time)?

In any case, you misunderstand me. I never said that the things you mentioned aren’t good, just that there have also been a number of negative repercussions. Of course there have. The loss of Dungeon magazine is a fine example.

[quote=“Simon”]That too I absolutely disagree with. New concepts should always be welcome, maybe they are good and therefore their influx is nice. Maybe they actually do not work in the tabletop medium (some people would argue that it was why 4th edition performed so poorly, of course they are wrong) and so will be abandoned. But expanding our horizons of what works and do not work will always be a worthwhile endeavor…
I think that, in this case, your curmudgeoness is poorly placed…[/quote]
So, just to sidetrack this even more, why do you think 4th ed. performed so poorly? Just curious.

Seriously, though, the imitation of video game design in 4th ed. (since you raised the example) was never about expanding our horizons. It was a marketing decision. That’s all. It was not an avenue to be explored (which I agree is always worthwhile), it was a tenet to be followed.

And that is simply not a good thing.

Anyway, back to the basic point, I don’t think it’s particularly curmudgeonly to only embrace those things that actually make life better, nor should it be blasphemy to ask whether changing technology has been solely positive for RPGs.

Before the wholesale Internet revolution, people were writing serious articles anticipating that RPGs would marginalize board games. Today, many are wondering whether RPGs will still be around in any significant way a decade or two down the line. Is it entirely illegitimate to question whether the impact of technology has been nothing but roses for this hobby of ours?

In any case, interesting thoughts, Simon.

Yes and no. I think it’s funny that you’ve phrased it in that very way because the very first game we’ve played was one that imitates a video game :wink:[/quote]
Well, I did say “almost universally” with that in mind. Should’ve expected you to jump on that… :smiley: (Besides, if we’re being honest with ourselves, Action Castle is really more a parlor game than a roleplaying game.)

I think it’s funny that you’re pointing out a drawback of doing things online. :wink:

But yeah, this discussion needs beer…

(And I think we’re all getting twitchy from lack of games. :mrgreen: )

If I may?.. :wink:

Btw Thopthes, I’d rather have an overloaded thread than an underloaded one, debates like this are always welcome.

I was first introduced to this whole thing in high-school. I had a friend who had an older brother that played Warhammer Fantasy and 40K, he was also an amazing artist and spent most of the time in the art room painting his minis (he also went on to work for White Dwarf later down the line, but that’s another story :wink:) Being an older guy I used to hassle him every lunchtime about minis and systems and he told me about RPGs. He also brought in some Steve Jackson “choose your own adventure books” for me to borrow. That year Santa brought me a Dungeons & Dragons Boxed “Starter Set”. I spent hours reading the rules and going through games in my head. Only problem was, none of my friends wanted to play…They were put off immediately by one look at the rules. Eventually, I forgot about it and moved on to other things. (no change there then! :wink:)

Fast forward a few years and I discovered Baldur’s Gate 2…I sunk hundreds of hours into it. My interest in D&D was rekindled. Then came Neverwinter Nights, I played a few organised online modules with that both as DM and player (the DM tools were amazing…Very close to PnP when I look back) Loads more video game RPGs came and went and I played as many as I could.

It was only when I came to Austria that I really started to explore these old interests. I started with Warhammer 40k first and in typical “Neil” fashion, amassed a legion of Space Marines, Citadel Paints and Credit Card bills. I found a club in Vienna that plays it and one of the guys took me under his wing. The problem was, he wanted to start me off with the regular 2000 point games and it pretty much overwhelmed me. There was way too much to keep track off. I realised I didn’t really like the system as much as I liked painting the minis. it was also really really expensive…Games Workshop :imp:

The next logical step (After building my own Proton Pack and set of Stormtrooper armour!) was pnp RPGs and basically here we are today. If it wasn’t for Baldurs Gate 2/NWN/Fallout 2/WoW/Oblivion and Skyrim, you’d probably be reading 40kVienna.com and I’d be buying Space Marines instead of Food.

Sure. But it’d also be a nice topic for a ‘board-meeting’. :wink:

[quote="-H-"]
As to the examples, Warcraft didn’t exactly set the roleplaying world on fire, did it? [/quote]
Well. It depends on your definition of ‘roleplaying world’.
The whole Warcraft-series had quite an impact on the gaming world in general. RTS/RPG/…
WoW alone still has several million players - for many years now. In addition Warcraft III and WoW both paved the way for a lot of other games and whole genres.

But there are a lot of other RPGs for collective and solo experiences out there. Neil already listed some of them. There also is a D&D based MMO: Neverwinter. It is based on a modified version of 4th edition. It’s free-to-play and includes an editor called ‘foundry’ which allows players to create their own quests and stories and to open them to the public.
Many other RPGs come with similar editors. So there are new platforms for people who like RPGs and want to create their own stories, thanks to technology.

True. But that also is more of an internet vs. print - thing. It doesn’t just include ‘going online’.

[quote=“Neil”]
(2) the step from rolling dice, adding some numbers, and jotting things down with a pencil by yourself to doing so with a group is a considerably smaller step than going from sitting in front of a keyboard to group roleplaying[/quote]
To be honest, I think it just depends on the circumstances. If you are used to play online it just depends on the game if you actually play with others or not. Of course a single player game is a single player game. But as the name suggests MMOs give you access to a massive pool of players, with just a few clicks.
Whereas playing with people at the same table sometimes needs a forum to find each other and a venue as well. :wink:

Playing in an ongoing online gaming group for the last 6+ years I feel obliged to add a few lines. :wink:

I started looking online for like minded players back in 2005/2006 or so when the Indie hype around Ron Edwards was at its peak in the German internet community. My regular group didn’t like to play those games and the real life board meetings were too irregular. So I started to play with some players experiencing the same need on a Teamspeak server our forum admin set up for us. Especially with those rules-light but heavy on narration systems it worked quite well. Sure, it was clumsy not having the facial expression of a player as a reaction at hand, but we started to adapt to that and learned to shout our favour or dismay rather than just smiling lonely in front of our laptops at home. That helped a lot in showing me how important direct feedback is during a game.

Later, when the indie wave slowly died away, our focus moved towards a new baby: D&D4. Still using Teamspeak as our platform for acoustic communication, we added MapTool to help simulating the battlemap. As complicated as all the macros etc. may look to newbies, after a while I have to admit I definitely prefer the digital version of playing DnD4 with MapTool over the annoyingly accounting complexity of managing all the modifiers etc. at the regular gaming table. Yes, it’s more fun to raise a fist as the dice stop on a 20, crushing the ogre with the last breath and shouting “In your face!” at the shocked GM’s face in real life… but hey, better than not playing the game you like at all! And in case of Dnd4 it even makes the game easier and hence more dynamic.

So, if you ask me about online gaming: If I can assemble the same (quality) players for a game in real life, I will always prefer sitting down at a physical table with my friends/players sitting next to me. But if those players cannot be found… sure as hell am I going to look online for that game!!

We recently started testing Google hangouts (because of video calling), but it turned out that one player’s internet connection is too unstable to keep staying connected. She regularly got kicked out of the session which was super annoying after the tenth time or so. Teamspeak seems to be much more forgiving to small instabilities in internet connectivity. Which is a bummer, cause I really enjoyed seeing my players. Also the maximize-talking-person feature is extremely neat. Really helps a lot on small laptop screens.

Not sure if I added anything of interest to the discussion. But as a long time user and strong proponent I felt like stating my thoughts on the topic. Online roleplaying did work for me and still does. And at least three of my all-time top ten campaigns in RPG were online games.

It’s not easy to have the perfect match of players for a particular game at hand. Sometimes you have to look beyond the city borders. That’s how I got into online gaming.

Perhaps we were talking at cross purposes. I was thinking of the one to which this forum is dedicated.

I was thinking of the one to which this forum is dedicated.[/quote]
Which one is that? P&P only?

to clarify: I am talking about P&P. I’ve never played MMORPGs but hear there are even some factions inside the World of Warcraft that do follow some form of roleplaying in “our” understanding of the word. That I always found quite interesting!

My thoughts exactly. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Alrik”]
to clarify: I am talking about P&P. [/quote]
I know. It was just unclear what -H- actually meant. Because he mentioned:

Which is the very picture book situation for MMORPGs :wink:

My point was just that video games often introduce people to RPGs and after some time they might start with P&P.
So technology did have a positive effect on RPGs.

Yeah. RP servers can be really cool.

Just a quick update, I just opened a community for RPG Vienna on Google Plus, so if any of you guys have a Google+ account, feel free to join!