Weekly games!

All the costume talk is scaring me :'D
Guess I’ll be the party pooper again.

Show up in a costume and you won’t be :smiley:

“Hello, today I am wearing the costume of an infiltrator space alien (from outer space) that took on the form of a normal human.”

That’s the spirit! :smiley:

Just finished my costume… well it looks shabby but what the heck. Please don’t laugh :wink:

See you in a bit!

Mine looks crappy too, no worries…

Thanks for a cool evening gang! And thanks for DMing H.

Thank you all! It was nice to finally put some faces to the forum names. And thanks, H, for shamble, shamble moo :stuck_out_tongue:

It was great fun. Thanks guys! And special thanks to our old school GM!
I’ll p.m. you the pictures in a couple of days. (Most likely on the weekend)

It was lots of fun!
thanks for DMing again : )

Yep, that was one hilarious trick-or-treating trip for our anniversary! Thanks -H-! :smiley:

…and speaking of anniversaries - Alrik and I have decided to take this occassion to share some future plans that have been brewing in our heads for a while - upcoming in the next post…

So, I wrote this thing one day, let’s call it an RPG proposal or something… got Alrik’s consent to post it here for all to see and ponder about… and so here it goes:

[quote]It’s been a blast this past year, it has. Our weekly indie group in which we tried out new systems, introduced our favorite games to other players who had never heard of them, introduced new roleplayers to the whole hobby for the first time(s), had one-shots both old school and newest of schools, and even an awesome classical D&D tournament recently… has proven to be very popular indeed.

The numbers of players have steadily grown, there was hardly any Thursday (or Wednesday) when Spielbar was not filled with us clamoring, laughing, rolling the dice, celebrating our victories and begriefing our (rare) defeats.
And we (that’s Alrik and Auburney, the sort-of, once-upon-a-time, mental parents of this group) think that it may be time to take it one step further.

So, one-shots are great fun, no doubt, but so could be short campaigns that go on for a while, we think. Also, lots of players is of course a good thing for certain types of games, but there is something going for small, cozy groups of 3 or 4 as well. Alas, how to get all of that under one concept? Without pushing anyone out or needlessly restricting things with arbitrary limitations?

We’ve been thinking, perhaps instead of splitting the party (into smaller groups better suited for some of the games we’d like best to try out in the near future), why not expand the group’s basic concept!

See, with regard to this being called the “indie” group, we have regrettably not been able to play too many indie games in it.
Sure, it’s hard, what with so many players, the constant background noise at Spielbar, the fluctuating participation from week to week, the “whoever shows up can play” concept at work…
But we’re determined to play some indies yet. We’re just not ready to give up our original plan that easily, so soon :wink:

So yes, there will have to be fewer players, and perhaps an alternative location (with less noise and more privacy, but we may have to bring our own drinks and food), and more steady arrangements as to who runs what, and when, and who plays in that. But at the same time, nothing really has to change!

Nothing has to change for anybody who doesn’t want it to, that is.
We fully intend to keep up the existing group, concept and all, just perhaps rename it to the maybe more aptly titled “Introductions, Tryouts and One-shots Group”, or something along those lines.
We would basically still be doing the same things we have always done, here – as the name says, it would be a casual, low-commitment, irregularly happening spot for anybody really, to try out new stuff, get to learn about the hobby if you’re new to it, and/or just pass a few hours in a fun way every week or so…

At the same time, additionally to that, we’d like to start up a second branch of the group. Let’s call it the “Dedicated Storygames Group(s)” for now, and maybe a fancier or more fitting title will come up eventually, if needed :wink:

You’re already guessing at it, and yes, this group(s) would work a little differently from the basic concept we’ve had so far. It would be taking place on a different day than the Intros & One-shots Group, and not necessarily every week either. Maybe just once a month, maybe more often, depending on the people in it and how much time they can (and want to) make.

It would require a little bit more commitment than the current “show up and play whenever you feel like it” mentality, as well. But then, that should also be easier, as with less people in a group at any given time, we should be more flexible with regards to date-finding, mind.

All in all though, we’ll see how the details shake out once we get started
with this new idea. For now, here’s the plan as far as it exists to date:

Alrik wants to run a Dungeon World game, maybe a couple sessions (3-5 or so), with up to 4 players, and just see how and where it goes. Me, I want to run Apocalypse World, exactly the same format; and Dogs in the Vineyard; and several others. Oh, Alrik also keeps on talking about his pet project, starting and running a season of Primetime Adventures some time.

Any or several of these may happen simultaneously (either of these groups playing once a month allows for player overlap as well, i.e. you could be in more than one of those if you’re motivated for a few more rpg dates in your calendar), or one after the other, depending on many factors…

We would probably keep it to short runs to begin with, and switch GMs every so often, not least in order to prevent anyone from being unable to participate for too long (if you’re not in any of the groups currently playing), but also to avoid being bound to a commitment for months on end… (if you are in a group, it should not be binding for a year or something)

The method we came up with: this Dedicated Storygames Group would likely agree on a GM and a game system to play for a time, and then a number of players would volunteer / grudgingly agree / be coerced to participate :wink: and the group would be expected to be relatively (!) stable for at least a relatively short run (3-5 sessions or so, as mentioned above). No problem with the occasional guest player, or with occasional absences of core players, of course. But we do want to tone down on the permanent fluctuation a bit.

Now, if you feel you’re a) interested in some ongoing, more dedicated, more immersed storygaming, b) have some timeslots left in your busy schedules over the next few months, and/or c) have some ideas of your own about games you’d like to run/play – let’s go ahead and do this thing!

If not, no prob! We’ll see you Thursdays at Spielbar, as usual :slight_smile:[/quote]

so this certainly has some overlap with the opening post of this very thread right here… that’s because it’s been written before the discussion that gave rise to that post had been had IRL :wink:

But instead of contradicting and fiddling around with the OP’s content, We thought we’d just post an alternative statement, as it were, all of our own.

Let us know what you think of it, if you will?

I like the idea and I’d be interested in joining one or the other short campaign/game.
Regarding the name of the group etc…I think it doesn’t really need one.
Since we have just opened a new thread for the weekly games I think it would be better for the person who wants to run a campaign to open a seperate one for it. And just do it the old fashioned way.
That way the group conversations won’t overlap and people who’re new to the board will still find the weekly games.
This will of course affect the frequency of the weekly games since not everyone can spend more than one day of the week on gaming, but it might also present the possibility for the indie group to play a game with a smaller party.

So if you want to run a game, I think it’d be good to open a new thread with the name, player limitation and the time frame that you have in mind so that the people can see what your plan is and check if they are able to make it to the game during that time. :slight_smile:

You’re never going to forgive me for that, are you? :slight_smile:

Anyway, thanks for a fun evening yesterday. I had a blast, too. Happy Halloween, everyone!

So, are we going to continue Pendragon this week?

Yep, that’s what we agreed on.
Wednesday or Thursday? Wednesday would be better for me…

Since I can’t do Wednesday this week - I’m voting for Thursday :slight_smile:

Both dates fit for me.

Ok, then let say Thursday 19h30…

I’ll be in…

… provided I can remember which day it is :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: